Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Recipe: Chocolate Frosting

Am I the only one who only either buys store bought cakes or a container of frosting to go on my box mix cake? Oh, well that's embarrassing. ;) Either way, this chocolate frosting recipe was kind of a life changing event for me. For realsies.

It all started when I picked to bring dessert to my mom's house for lunch this past Sunday. Watching LDS General Conference all day Saturday made it hard for my lazy self to make something. At about 10pm Sat night, I was feeling super excited that I still had a box of yellow cake in my cupboard since I've been trying (and mostly failing) to keep processed foods out of my diet.

Sunday morning we went to my dad's house for breakfast and then were scheduled to be to my mom's house for lunch (It seems like my parents always schedule things on the same day. Divorce kids problems :). So on the way home from my dad's house I googled chocolate frosting recipes. I pulled this one up and saw that I had all the ingredients. Awesome! 

When we got home the first thing I did was run to the fridge, pull out two sticks of butter, and put them under my armpits. Ain't nobody got time for letting butter soften on it's own. With the butter warming under my arms, I pulled out the other ingredients and the mixer. By then the butter was feeling fairly soft, soft enough that a high speed beater was able to whip it into complete softness with only a few bent beater tongs. (I was able to bend the beater back into shape. No need to stress over my beater ;) 

Talon kept begging for a bite so when it was just butter and cocoa I gave him a little piece. Hilarious!! Funniest thing that has happened in a while. :D  Once I got it all mixed up, Talon kept asking for tastes and probably would have eaten the whole bowl by himself, but would have had to fight Mark over it since they both kept 'tasting' it. 

I ate three pieces of cake on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. I think Mark ate that same amount. Talon would ask for cake and then just eat the frosting off. Seriously, it's that good. Hope you like it :)

1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted (I totally did Not sift!)
5 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 tablespoons milk


For full instructions check out Laurens Latest.

He was covered in frosting.  We had to change his whole outfit and would have given him a bath, if we weren't already late.

No comments:

Post a Comment