Thursday, November 7, 2013

Book Review: Austenland

Austenland (Austenland, #1)
by Shannon Hale

248483
Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New Yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her love life: no real man can compare. But when a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, Jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become realer than she ever could have imagined.

Decked out in empire-waist gowns, Jane struggles to master Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen;or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them. It's all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to fall away, and the more she wonders: Is she about to kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?

***** 5/5 Stars!
I had been meaning to read this book for years but had never read it until about a week ago.  I really liked it!! It was very fun and entertaining and, of course, had a great love story.

I saw the movie before I read the book and I loved the movie.  It is possibly my new favorite movie, in fact.  This put me in a tight spot as I read the book because I had a mental comparison going on all through out.  I liked the set up of the story better in the book. In the book, Jane is given the trip to Austenland whereas in the movie, Jane is portrayed as being so obsessed with the P&P movie that she spends her life savings purchasing the trip.  Without giving it away, I liked the love story better in the movie.  I think it is a little more innocent and real and is that much better for it.

This was a pretty quick read that I really liked.  I am looking forward to reading 'Midnight in Austenland (Austenland #2)' and will let you know how it goes.

Want to read 'Austenland (Austenland #1)'? Purchase the Kindle version Here.
 
Want to read Midnight in 'Austenland (Austenland #2)'? Purchase the Kindle version Here, or purchase the book Here.

Haven't watched the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice???? Purchase the movie Here. 

Keep up to date with what is going on At The Beech House by following us on Facebook.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment